Thursday, May 31, 2012

Tip Number Eleven

Hello lovely readers! I've been doing this College 101 segment of mine a little on-and-off for quite some time now and I know some of you guys are actually here because of it. I'm in a point in my life right now where I don't know what will happen next. I'm currently, school-less and I'm still looking or hoping to be qualified for a school to be admitted in. I'm prospecting a school just across my previous school, DLSU, and I'm hoping that everything will be fine. However, I'm not going to have my hopes up and later on be disappointed with the outcome. I know there are some issues, especially about trust and finances, that might not enable be to enroll to that school. Let's just hope everything does go well and I don't fuck this up.

That was actually off topic. I just had to tell you guys what has been happening to me since I do feel that those who read my blog or glance at it once in a while are my friends. I consider you guys my friends. I love how you're here reading this post. I guess I just wanted someone to know, somewhere out there, what I'm going through. Isn't that what blogging is all about? Sharing your thoughts, life, opinions, skills and whatever it may be to the big wide world. Right? Hoping that someone out there is listening and actually understands what you're going through without any judgement or resentment. Anywho...
TIP #11: CHOOSING THE RIGHT COURSE/MAJOR

Choosing the right course for yourself is never an easy task, especially when you've just finished high school or on your last year in it. Truth is, we don't know a shits-ass on what we want to do with our lives. There are some that have ambitions and dreams that know where they want to be, when they want to be in it and other long-term goals. However, that's not the case to most of the newly graduated teens out there. Admit it or not, the courses you've written down or actually studying right now was not your 100% honest to God choice. 

We were either forced into a course our parents wanted or we're in a course where most of our high school friends are taking. Sometimes, the course isn't even as important as the university or college that you'll be entering. Some people, especially in the top 4 universities in our country, choose courses that doesn't have a quota just to get in a certain prestigious university. What we don't realize is that, this is wrong. Our concept of college and our future in those times are so muddled up that we don't even realize the gravity it will have in our lives.

I can actually testify and tell you guys from experience how your life can go from up cloud nine high to a plummeting six-feet-under downer. I've been a student of one of our country's top schools and I got in it with my first choice course that was supposed to bring me hell of a lot of opportunities here and abroad but I just couldn't get the drive. I dragged myself everyday off of my bed, go to school, then to my classes and then back home. At first, I thought it was going to be okay. I thought that I could stomach it, push myself to like it and other stuff like that. I told myself that I'll love my course eventually, my mom will be right on saying that I will get used to this course and I just need to pass and graduate. No biggie. No pressure.

Well, we all know that's a load of bull. No matter how much your parents, relatives or friends say that it's okay to just pass, the society doesn't think that way. It is all about getting the right Cumulative GPA, the higher the better your chances are. I just found it so difficult to actually focus on my major because I was so sick of it. I hated it. It was not me, or not the me that I have discovered. You see, I'm a late bloomer. While my friends in high school were going out on movie dates with our other friends or have bonding times in the park or sleepovers, I was at home. I was always at home with my parents or in the mall with my parents. I do go out sometimes but not as often as a normal kid should be. I guess that's one reason, for me, to have bloomed and figured myself out later than others. I'm not blaming my parents though because despite the fact that I wasn't allowed to go out most of the time, they still made me experience other things such as travelling (with their supervision, of course).

Anyway, I'm blabbering. I'm gonna end this post with a 5-point question you should consider when you're deciding on a course or feel uneasy with your course. Here's my 5-points:

1. Do you have any interest with the course you're going to take up or currently taking?
Without any interest in your course, you might find it difficult to pursue the course as time goes by. I, for one, had the same problem with my previous course. I was only mildly interested on my course's subjects. When I was starting out with my course it was okay but as time went by, I found it hard to even concentrate on my lessons let alone pass a subject. So, you have to know, at least even partially, that you like the course you're taking up. You have to have the passion and the drive to start strong, maintain it till your last years and finish your course.


2. Do you know what the course is really about?

Some courses make you believe you're going to get something you want but in reality, you're not. I thought when I wrote down my course in my application, I was going to study European culture, arts, history and all those interesting things. But to my dismay, my course was actually about European politics, economics and government structures. It was far from what I expected and I got really disinterested with my course. So, you guys should know what your course offers and the subjects you'll learn through the years.


  • 3. In times of hardships, do you think you'll still have the drive to continue with your course?
  • It's important to have a drive to finish your course. You have to have something to hold on to or some kind of goal for yourself at the end of your college life. You need something to push you forward when you're in a shitty subject or under a very strict, almost impossible, professor. I think loving what you do is a strong driving force for a student to finish his/her course. I hope you guys love what you do and I'm pretty sure you won't even notice that it's graduation time already.  

    4. Can you see yourself 5-10years from now pursuing a career related to your course?

    Vision, I think it's important to envision yourself with a career that's related to your course. If you see yourself in the future, happily fulfilling your duties in your career with the help of your chosen course then that's great. Choosing your course in college is like equipping yourself with the right tools to survive the real world. We all have potential, we just need to hone it and persevere for us to succeed.

    5. Are you happy with your course?

    I always ask myself everyday if I'm happy. I usually have the same answer, No. I'm not happy with my course and I feel trapped in it. You have to think about how you're going to live your life. Choosing a course is like choosing the path your life is going to take. In my opinion, the best road is a happy road. I'd rather be poor than be unhappy.
    I guess that's it for me now. I'll end this post here. I hope you guys like it and I'm really sorry if it's a long post. I just have a lot of things to say when it comes to this topic since I have a first hand experience on what it's like to not like your course. I hope you guys won't experience what I've experienced. If you have any questions, violent reactions or something to share... Never hesitate to send me an e-mail or comment down below! :)


    Sign
    Facebook | Twitter | Formspring | Online Shop

    1 comment:

    1. Okay so clearly I'm REALLY late on commenting on this post, but I think you said everything right! I'm in my second year of college and I'm in the process of changing my major from Neuroscience to a double major of Graphic Design and Psychology. I realized really early into my classes that Neuroscience just wasn't for me. As much as I loved the sense of respect I got when I told people that was my major, I still wasn't satisfied deep down inside. After starting my blog, I realized I had a true passion for graphic designing.

      It's scary thinking about changing my major, but I'd rather be uncomfortable with the change now rather than paying for it after college.

      I've learned that it's super important to love what you do. If you're not happy with the courses required for that major, chances are you're not going to be happy with the career either. I know this comment is super long, but I only post these kinds of comments when I read something that really inspires me:)
      xx Kashara
      http://www.UndiscoveredWorth.com

      ReplyDelete

    Hey there lovely reader! Thank you for visiting my blog and reading my posts. I hope you drop a comment so I know you visited. I will visit each and every one of your blogs as soon as I can. Just leave them down below! :)

    Kisses,
    Renee ♥

    Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...