Friday, March 23, 2012

MAY THE ODDS BE EVER IN YOUR FAVOR!

Hello lovely ladies and gents! Last night, I had the opportunity of watching Hunger Games because of my class in European Cinema. I was really thrilled about this since I was kind of expecting the movie. I'm not a die-hard fan of the book or the movie but I really have to say that the movie gave justice to the book. It was not like some story Twilight  that turned into a movie which sucked hard but I wouldn't compare it to Harry Potter as well because they're in totally different genres and talked about different things.

I won't make this long since I'm not an expert and I don't really watch that much movies as much as Gab of Gab Rages that watch movies like a freak but I do enjoy watching them and I am very particular with the way a movie is done, cinematography wise. But, I won't claim that I'm an expert in these stuffs since I'm not taking a mass media or a photography/cinematography course. Again, I'm just an enthusiast. Anyway, here are some of the things that I liked about the movie.



Character Justice - I really have to say that the actors that portrayed Katniss, Peeta and Cinna were wonderful! Josh Hutcherson really got my attention. He was marvelous! One scene that I will never forget was the scene when Peeta and Katniss had just finished talking to their loved ones and even though the camera was focused on Katniss, what I noticed was not Katniss but Peeta. Peeta emotional and in the verge of crying but still kept it in was really touching. I couldn't take my eyes off of him! I could feel the pain, the fear of what lies ahead and the thought of killing another person to survive! It was just so unnerving! I think I understand now why Gab likes Josh Hutcherson a lot. He's a great actor. Of course, we all know how wonderful Jennifer Lawrence is as an actress and I won't comment on that point too much but another surprising act was Cinna, the stylist of Katniss, which was played by Lenny Kravitz. It was surprising to me because he played his role well.




Book Justice - As I said earlier, the movie really gave justice to the book, story wise. The director maintained the story and the underlying meanings that the book had into the movie. What I really liked about it was that it gave justice to the feeling of survival and the adrenaline rush that I had experienced when I read the book. It had the right amount of cheesy lines, quirky camera point of views and of course, the pain and thrill that is survival. I also liked how the director had made it a point to show how the tributes had died just like how Suzanne Collins had wrote it in the book. It was just marvelous. I was really happy with how everything turned out. I just hope that the next movies would still give justice to the book and not just focus on the love and all that shallow stuff.




Cinematography - At first I wasn't that much of a fan of the cinematography but as the movie went on I saw that it was actually fitting to get the feel of the movie. It was as if the audience was with Katniss running away from those that were hunting her. It made the audience connect and I think that's a really good move. I also liked how they would focus on Gale's reaction when it came to scenes that involved Katniss and Peeta being sweet together or showing affection. It was funny. It actually made you feel the love triangle and not just the usual star-crossed lovers type of story, which Hunger Games is actually. I also liked how well the effects were done in the movie. I wasn't expecting much because I might get disappointed but the effects, specially with the monster like dogs were just wonderful. Not to mention the brilliancy of The Capitol's infrastructure and the advancement of its technologies. It made me want the future to come quickly and for me to have those 3-dimensional gadgets. Hahaha!



Costume and Design - Ah! The costumes! My god, the costumes! I cannot say how much I am impressed with the costumes of the citizens of The Capitol. I didn't expect that they would actually do such a good job with the Avant Garde clothing and the make up was also really good. The golden eye-liners, the purple lipsticks with pink hairs and popping pastel colors of the actors. It was just such an eye candy! Literally like seeing walking candies because of their characters! I mean, a host with blue hair? How cute is that! I'm just really impressed. It actually made me think how some Japanese movies that came from mangas who had such wild hairstyles and then when it came to the live action it wasn't what I expected. So, for costume and make up designs I would say that Hunger Games really did well.

I think that's it for me now. I'll end this post here and I hope that you'd like my little review about the Hunger Games. I recommend it to you guys, it's a really good movie. Now, I'll leave you with this picture and I hope that the odds be ever in your favor!





Sign
Facebook | Twitter | Formspring | Online Shop

3 comments:

  1. Nice! Thanks for mentioning me and my, erm, love for movies. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good review. Maybe The Hunger Games is going to be the one young adult franchise that really lives up to the hype. Thankfully, it’s no Twilight- meaning that future installments will actually be something to look forward to and there won’t be any mopey romance angles. Fancy that! Check out my review when you can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. It's not the typical love story but you can still feel the romance. I like that about Hunger Games. Sure! No problem. I'd gladly check out your review. :)

      Delete

Hey there lovely reader! Thank you for visiting my blog and reading my posts. I hope you drop a comment so I know you visited. I will visit each and every one of your blogs as soon as I can. Just leave them down below! :)

Kisses,
Renee ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...