Saturday, August 06, 2011

College 101: Tip Number Two

Hey guys!

I am back and I think it's time for me to tell you another tip for you to survive college. I may not be an expert in acing college subjects and being the most active member of orgs, but I did learn some stuff. Let me tell you guys how I acted in my first and even sophomore year in college. I was the dreamer, the procrastinator, the "talk but never get to walk" type. I was, to simplify it, totally lost. I had so many ideas in my head, so many things that I wanted to do and experience that I wanted to do everything.

I was actually overwhelmed. I would affiliate myself in organizations that I thought I could benefit from and could actually do something but then as the year progressed, I tend to lose focus. I know what you might say, you might say something like "I'm not like that. This is irrelevant". Well, let me tell you something. I also said that before I even thought of the amount of responsibilities an org demands from your time. JOINING AN ORGANIZATION IS GREAT BUT YOU SHOULD KNOW WHAT YOU ARE GETTING YOURSELF INTO. Being an active student in your perspective schools isn't exactly as easy as a walk in the park or a cup of tea. It actually demands a lot of things from you. With that being said, I am here to give you some tips on how to pick and actually be active responsibly in the org that you decided to join. So, here is a short list of things that I think is very important in considering and eventually choosing the right extra-curricular activities in college.


  1. Know what you want. This is very important to anybody in any field. You should know what you want and you should also know up to what extent can you give to an organization. Let us say, you are creative and have an exceptional mind for imagining the possibilities of things. You decided that when you get into college, you'll be active and join orgs that could hone your skills but the problems is, you don't know specifically what you want as a creative person. You picture yourself in so many different things that you want to join every org that you see that was applicable or would benefit you. I know that would sound great and it should be the case but you have to consider the amount of time you have to spend with each and every single one of those orgs. So, my tip is to specify and narrow down things that you specifically want to do and specialize in that niche. You don't want to become a Jack-of-all trade but a master of none. It is just not worth it and also, the amount of orgs does not matter, it is the quality and the skills that you have acquired and mastered that matters.
  2. Allocate time wisely. I cannot stress enough how an organization eats up your time in school. Remember, you are in school to study and those extra-curricular activities are there to be your outlet of creativity and to keep you sane not take up your whole time in school. I know for a fact that a lot of people tend to forget and be engrossed in doing extra-curricular activities because let's face it, extra-curricular activities are fun to do and it gives you that look of what the outside world might offer. Well, that is if you are an officer. So here's my tip, make a time table or put it in your planner/organizer. Also another great tip is that you be active while you are in school and not after school. Do you know what I mean? If not, here's a scenario. Let us say that you are arranging your class and you want to become active in the orgs that you joined. What you can do is that arrange your classes apart or have 2-3 hours of break so that you could allocate that to residencies in your orgs and in that way, you are active in your org and still within the time frame of your class/time in school.
  3. Know when to say No and I can't. I cannot stress enough how orgs sometimes demand your presence and time and they'd want you to commit 100% and sometimes even more. Sometimes, those demands clash with the demands of your course and generally, academic stuff. What you guys need to do is to know your priorities and it should be your academic and actual homework or so. So, what I'm telling you guys is that you should know when to say No and I can't at certain times because you can't do everything. It is not a crime to say No to an org because those things are not your priority and more probably than not, the members and officers of the org understands why you said No. They are fellow students too, you know.

Anyway, I think I'll end it here. I'm really sorry guys about not posting this earlier. I had actually finished this post 3 days ago but my connection stopped and the post that I did was not saved ergo I had to repeat everything from scratch. I hope you guys will enjoy and find this post helpful. I'll be posting another College 101 tip next week. 

If you have any questions, suggestions and anything like that please do not hesitate to comment on this post and/or message me in my email address: message.renee@gmail.com

Sign

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there lovely reader! Thank you for visiting my blog and reading my posts. I hope you drop a comment so I know you visited. I will visit each and every one of your blogs as soon as I can. Just leave them down below! :)

Kisses,
Renee ♥

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...